Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bula! (Fijian Hello)

Kia Ora! ( Maori Hello/welcome)

Here goes yet another blog...soon coming to an end as we are nearing the finish line to our extreme adventures! Back about a week or so, as Tara so graciously informed us...it's good our P.R. manager is keeping us on track and grounded. Back to Franz Joseph-a cute and quaint town with a population of 200 permanent residents which grows to over 1000 people a day because of the major attraction---go figure, The Franz Joseph Glacier. Here we decided to take a full-day hike up and over the glacier. It began with a small walk through sub-tropical rainforest, where Taya quickly figured out that her wool socks and boots were absolute rubbish, into a canyon that was carved out by the receding glacier (already receded 2.5 km back-which we had to walk through to get to the base, we might add! Not to forget the torrential downpours we endured just to make it a little bit more extreme!) As we hit the base we strapped on our crampons (spikes) to our boots and realized that the many layers of gore-tex and base layers were far too much for us Canadians as we were sweating balls. Taya and Brittany were stripping off layers even before the big climb! The climb entailed steep inclines that required us to hold onto ropes...you know we were on solid ice...one goes -we all go, we also had to dig our spikes into the ice for traction, our guide had an ice pick to break trail for us to go up and over the ridges. Mel and Briana both were wee bit hesitant as Mel looked up at the height and Briana dreaded any small crevices that we may come across- both did remarkably well. Parts of the glacier were gorgeous, crystal clear, blue amplified by the rain washing away any sediment. Taya was cursing under breath as she scaled the ice because she felt like a big baby due to the agonizing pain from her feet. She felt a little better about whining so much when she discovered that the pain was legit when she took her boots off to discover the blood/burns/holes with wool stuck in them and the left over skin in her socks after the day---not to forgot, rented socks! Winner, winner, chicken dinner for the next recipient! GROSS!!! Ma & Pa Mark-the bruises on Mel's lower extremities are a souvenir from the glacier, not Taya's aggression or boomerang! From Franz Joseph we stopped for an overnight stay in a town called Wanaka-a large sheep farming industry surrounded by mountains and Lake Wanaka. We hope that the people really appreciate how clean and clear it is, also with depths of about 500m. Don't worry we are still rooting for Kenosee! Next to Queenstown -the adventure capital of NZ where the city itself brings in 30 million per year just off bungy jumping. This is where it first originated- to celebrate, Taya decided to donate to the 30 million dollar pot and PAID to jump off a pod suspended 134m. The cable car she had to ride out to the jump site was grates at the bottom and the floor of the pod was glass...impending doom below. Video and pictures and CERTIFICATE (maybe of stupidity) to come! No, Lindsay Dalziel, Taya will not pay you to tie a rope around her ankles and jump off the Kenosee free fall! The next day, we took a day trip to Milford Sound (on the advice of Pat Coffey), boy this was a beauty. A real wet one! In fact, over 150mm in an hour! Our guide said it was the wettest day he had ever seen-the mountains looked like they had veins running down them there were so many waterfalls! Next to Christchurch-a city-not much to say here besides we had to say goodbye to our quad-pod member- Melanie. All we have to say, sucks to be you-have fun at work tomorrow biatch! Now---ahhh.....FIJI!!!! Greeted at the airport by our transport, who adorned us with shell Lei's and a mercedes to drive us to our resort. Wow, they must have smelled us coming and realized we have been backpacking for 3 months and felt bad because we are spoiled! This resort is like no other and is to DIE for!!!! Our room---AMAZING! Ocean front with a king size bed and couch with a pullout (you guessed it, Taya & Brittany are sharing the king. Not because they want to, but more fear because they know how much Briana misses her Mick-Nugget! Gag!) The sheets are so crisp and white, we've showered and still scared to lay in the bed. Oooh! A fully stocked bathroom with robes, new toothbrushes, shampoo/conditioner....even cotton buds! bahaha... aka cotton balls! And a fully stocked coffee/tea bar in our room, yup 4 different kinds of tea. To give you an idea, there's english breakfast, Japan Sencha, jasmine and camomile...oh yeah and free internet. Oh yeah, the best buffet meal any of us has had at an all-inclusive----Taya was in heaven....all you can eat SUSHI!!!! Briana even had a go seeing that she had nothing to lose! Tomorrow's plan- nothing....beach...food....beach...sunscreen....food...coffee....beach....sunset......maybe more food...sleep! We leave this island, (oh yeah, we have our own Island-109 acres! At Shangri-La Resort) in 4 days for another island to try out for size. Mana Island Resort (we think)Will update soon. Miss you and see you all soon!

P.S. It's so nice to hear all the christmas music playing, but weird at the same time because it's so tropical here. It makes us that much more excited to see all of you! 9 days!

13 comments:

  1. Ahh,there was that so hard? I think not, to relive all the beautiful places you've been and seen,for us to transport ourselves for 5 minutes into the tropical wonderland instead of this white deep freeze! (maybe when taya's feet were near amputated), but other than that, it sounds so awesome!! and you know to rub it in to the ones that have you, gotta be a little sweet, just a little bit? Anyways enjoy life on the beach and being spoiled because as you pointed out it's coming quickly to an end and you will all be back to reality with us! And it's cold here in reality and nobody waits on you! But everyone will be very happy to see you!! So take care, travel safe and keep bloggin' until the very last day,please
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops typing error, line 5, it's supposed to say for the ones that have left you!
    ttyl
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, agonizing pain from those awful boots....I remember that exact thing happening to me....horrible....but so worth it for the amazing hike!
    I loved Wanaka too....kinda relaxed, hippy-ish, clean, quiet.
    Taya, I knew you'd do something crazy in Queenstown!! Figured it'd be bungy!!
    Have a great time in Fiji while we freeze....you guys are gonna die when you get home to this crap!!
    Enjoy your last week-ish in paradise....cuz reality sux when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its good you will be home on the 23 cause Chels is on the boat and Linds is to busy writing rules that no one is here to help me with moms xmas present. At lease we will have lots of time for that when you get home so think about that.All is well here so have fun stay safe Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tri-pod! I am home and an enjoying every minute of it. I took a real shower last night and slept in a real bed and I just might take another shower this morning. Oh the things that bring enjoyment in my life. So, I spent the day in Christchruch wandering the streets. I found some more good shops. Taya, I don't know how we managed to miss them but we did. We probably walked by them at least three times.
    My flights were good although they seemed to drag on forever. The only saving grace was that I folded my hoodie into a pillow...thanks Best Friend for the idea. Other than that my flight arrived an hour late in Regina and was loving the weather(-40)and the snow. Oh, I tried to bring a bag of chips home in my carry on and unfortunately somebody put their bag on mine when I was sleeping and crashed the bag.
    Well, enjoy the weather. I better go get some groceries.

    Miss you already,
    Single-pod.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello My fine lady friends,
    First off..You need to tell me the day and time you get home!!! I want to be there in a bikini to show off my sexy bod...nah im just kidding..still the same old me..not a skinny bitch! anyways are you hiding something from me? Are you not coming home till later..if so ill be major pissed!!! Im freakin freezing here. I look like a grandma in bed with pjs and my wheat bag. its so cold. I feel for you guys when you hit the ice bergs! f your life! ummmm I registered for school in January..boooooo and also have had lots of christmas parties to attend..im just that popular as a date i guess..doesn't matter if its girls!!! IT STILL COUNTS. have my work party tonight...should be fun/interesting to get drunk with coworkers! meh LIVE THE DREEAM RIGHT! anyways I better get a reply from someone to tell me when you get here becuse I need somoe more friends in my life and Im bored as hell! although Im sure i have lots of stories to tell you sexy beasts! Oh right and Im dating someone..youll really like him....................HAHAHAH IM TOTALLY KIDDING!!!! had ya going tho right??? miss you biatches and CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU..get to pick my bro up asap...wont be nearly as exciting as when you people climb into my arms but i guess its dece!...get in the christmas spirit too cause i bought a new CD WITH MILEY CYRUS BABY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh i miss you Cherise, Some things never change tho, cause half the time I'm scratching my head wondering what you're saying & the other half I'm gasping, things sure are boring round good ole AHC without you to spark our lives!!In answer to your ? the girls arrive @ 0100 23 dec.and it won't be a minute too soon! And girls now I have proof Dad never buys my xmas present!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You smug, warm, suntanned son's of bitches. Edmonton set a record the other day for the coldest day ever on record. With windchill -58. (They should all get a certificate.) Luckily we were in the balmy south where it was only like -38. We made a fly by night trip to Calgary to pick up a new truck for Greg (and no, there were none in SK, I already asked that;) It's big, so big in fact that you don't even feel it when you hit things. I pulled in to get gas at the Coop and ran over two pylons and drug them across the parking lot. I didn't even know until I got out and the gas jockey was staring at me and Greg was laughing his ass off. We got home at 1130 and I was soo excited to have a hot shower and get into a nice warm bed. Then I opened the door to the house and it was 1.5 degrees. At first I thought this may be because the car was so ridiculously hot (seat heat on: sweaty ass, seat heat off: full body shivers, and so on for 8 hrs. You get the picture.) But no it really was 1.5 degrees. So, needless to say we did not get a lot of sleep. Imagine curling up on your Franz Joseph glacier under a nice little covering of ice sheets. All I could think of all night was I wish I had mitts, I wish I had mitts. I, however, would not have rented them!?! I gagged you guys. You needed to pack better. Even homeless people have socks. In fact, I believe they use their socks as mitts too. Something to think about. If only you had socks.. Now you just have holes in your feet and a strange skin condition.
    I am glad to hear that you are finally living the good life in Fiji. Don't skimp on the soap. I can smell you from here. And a mercedes?? I hope you don't get too used to that, cause when you come to Melfort Greg will be your chauffeur, and good old Vicki will be you charriott. Sometimes I think we are too high class. Oh, and thanks for the itinerary. Here is mine: wake up (way too friggin early)..stick my foot out from under the covers..Stick it back in..Waaay to cold..Debate calling in sick for 20 min so I can not get out of bed..Get mad at alarm clock and swear out loud..Slowly, painfully roll out of bed, dragging all of blankets with me..Run to housecoat..Curse this country.. Ringing any bells (or alarms??) Oh your time is coming my sweets!! Bahahaha
    Bring me back a tan!
    Linds

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Lindsay, when the warm,lazy bitches are home and done blogging will you take over, i laughed until there were tears! Not that your blogs aren't good girls, you can't stop yet, you have to admit that's funny, so no hard feelings!
    And cherise we miss you around here too, no crazy blonde, gangster bitch all up in our grill! Maybe we could do a "Three CraZY Ladies" reunion show like they do with survivor and we'll rent the curling rink and we'll all go there and look at their pictures and hear their stories together! And Jeff Probst would surely come! Anyway just a thought!
    Glad you guys are safe from your little cyclone, and i hope Taya's toes heel, before she comes home and has to put them in winter boots!!
    i don't want a tan like lindsay i would like some sunshine pretty please
    thanks
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  10. soo basically what you;'re saying is they get in Dec 23 at 0100 in the AM so pretty much like the 22nd night.....well its a weird time but ill be all OVER IT....as long as that is correct hahah whoop whoop cant wait..i hope its not like the 24th am ish cause im working those nights..annywaysill be a waiting

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tee hee I think I am going to make them keep writing cause I don't know what else I will fill my time with. Get up..check the blog, get home from work..check the blog. I might have to start drinking to fill the void!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. well that could make for some interesting blogging, if you rememeber what you did while drinking! your mom could keep good tabs on you too,lol,although sometimes i don't think she wants to know what you girls are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok girls i know you're trying to pack as much fun stuff into your last 10 days or.. you're just trying to keep briana from jumping on the first plane she can! BUT.... it has been another whole long agonizing week of checking the blog, you've made addicts out of us, we're going to have to have an intervention once it's all over, and when i come on here there's NOTHING!! nothing at all...where are you?

    ReplyDelete